Lead

Oct 14 12 1:28 PM

Tags : :

TWO DEBATES DOWN AND TWO DEBATES TO GO!

IT'S JUST ABOUT UNANAMOUS THAT GOVERNOR ROMNEY WON THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE.  EVEN COMMENTS FROM VARIOUS LIBERALS SUPPORT THIS CONCLUSION.  I HAVE BEEN AT SEVERAL RALLIES IN BOSTON IN WHICH MITT ROMENY SPOKE WHEN HE WAS GOVERNOR, AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM DO AS WELL AS HE DID DURING THAT DEBATE IN DENVER.  HIS CAMPAIGN TEAM SHOULD GIVE HIM MORE OF WHATEVER HE WA DRINKING.  OBAMA ON THE OTHER HAND WAS UNENGAGED AND I READ OR HEARD COMMENTS LIKE 'HE LOOKED LIKE HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE'.  AL GORE SAID THAT OBAMA'S POOR PERFORMANCE WAS POSSIBLY DUE TO THE ALTITUDE IN THE MILE HIGH CITY.  OH, REALLY!

THESE DEBATES I THINK ARE MORE ABOUT STYLE AND PERSONALITY THAN ABOUT SUBSTANCE.  AN HOUR AND A HALF IS HARDLY ENOUGH TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE VARIOUS MATTERS THAT ARE DISCUSSED.  THE TOPIC OF THE DEBATE WAS ON DOMESTIC POLICY AND IT WAS DIFFICULT TO REALLY GRASP THE VARIOUS POINTS THAT WERE MADE.  I PERSONALLY AM AN ADVOCATE OF THE KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE SIMON) FORMULA AND THUS BELIEVE WE NEED TO SIMPLIFY THINGS BY SCALING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT AND IT'S BLOATED BUREAUCRACY UNTIL WE GET IT TO A LEVEL WHERE THE AVERAGE CITIZEN IS MORE CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING IT.  WHEN MITT ROMNEY INDICATED HE WOULD PULL FUNDING FROM PBS, I GAVE A THUMBS UP NOT BECAUSE THERE ARE NOT SOME GOOD SHOWS ON PBS OR THAT I DON'T LIKE BIG BIRD OR JIM LERHER, BUT SIMPLY BECAUSE WE HAVE TO CUT SPENDING UNTIL WE START LIVING WITHIN THE AMOUNT OF TAXES WE SEND TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
TO KEEP RAISING TAXES TO SPEND ON MANY UNNECESSARY PROGRAMS IS NOT IN OUR BEST INTEREST.

THE PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION READS:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

THE FOUR FUNCTIONS OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ARE CLEARLY ENUMERATED IN THOSE WORDS.

ESTABLESH JUSTICE;
INSURE DOMESTIC TRANQUILITY;
PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE;
PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE.

ALTHOUGH ONE COULD ARGUE THAT PBS AND BIG BIRD PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE, I WOULD SAY PUTTING THE NATION IN DEBT BY SUCH SPENDING DOES NOT.

AMERICANS HAVE TO DECIDE HOW MUCH THEY WANT TO BE TAXED AND HOW THEY WANT THEIR MONEY SPENT.

PBS AND BIG BIRD COULD GO PRIVATE AND COMPETE WITH OTHERS IN THE MARKETPLACE FOR VIEWER SUPPORT.  THEY MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED AT HOW WELL THEY DO.

THE SECOND DEBATE WAS THE ONE AND ONLY DEBATE BETWEEN THE VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES.  IT WAS NOT NEARLY AS LOPSIDED, BUT MANY COMMENTS WERE LEVELED AT JOE BIDEN FOR HIS ABRASIVENESS AND OVERLY AGRESSIVE TACTICS.  I READ THAT BIDEN INTERRUPTED RYAN OVER 80 TIMES WHILE THE CHALLENGER DEMONSTRATED A DEMEANOR THAT WAS MUCH MORE WORTHY OF SUCH A HIGH OFFICE.  OVER 51 MILLION VIEWERS TUNED IN TO THE DEBATE ON FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC POLICY FROM DANVILLE, KENTUCKY AND, I'M SURE, NOTICED THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE TWO MEN.

NOW IT'S ON TO HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY IN HEMPSTEAD NEW YORK FOR THE SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ON OCTOBER 16TH.  I AGAIN ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CANDIDATES;

THE LATEST GALLUP PRESIDENTIAL TRACKING POLL SHOW THAT AMONG REGISTERED VOTERS OBAMA IS LEADING ROMNEY 48% TO 46%. AMONG LIKELY VOTERS IT FLIPS TO ROMNEY LEADING OBAMA 49% TO 47%.  THESE FIGURES WILL CONTINUE TO CHANGE AFTER THE DEBATES AND ANY UNFORSEEN HAPPENINGS BETWEEN NOW AND ELECTION DAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2012;

SOME NOT SO GOOD NEWS FOR SOCIAL SECURITY RECIPIENTS HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED.  THE 56 MILLION OR SO PEOPLE WHO RECEIVE BENEFITS SHOULD NOT EXPECT MUCH OF AN INCREASE COME JANUARY 2013. PRELIMINARY FIGURES SHOW THE ANNUAL BENEFIT BOOST WILL BE BETWEEN 1 PERCENT AND 2 PERCENT, WHICH WOULD BE AMONG THE LOWEST SINCE AUTOMATIC ADJUSTMENTS WERE ADOPTED IN 1975.  MONTHLY BENEFITS FOR RETIRED WORKERS NOW AVERAGE $1,237.00, MEANING THE TYPICAL RETIREE CAN EXPECT A RAISE OF BETWEEN $12.00 AND $24.00 A MONTH.  THE SIZE OF THE INCREASE WILL BE MADE OFFICIAL ON OCTOBER 16TH, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT RELEASES INFLATION FIGURES FOR SEPTEMBER;

GOLD CLOSED THE WEEK AT A BID SPOT PRICE OF $1,754.30 AN OUNCE AND SILVER AT $33.48 AN OUNCE.  BOTH ARE STILL UP FOR THE YEAR;

AS USUAL, IF TIME PERMITS, WE NEED TO CONTINUE DISCUSSING THE FOLLOWING:
PENSIONS - THEY NEED OUR ATTENTION.  MANY AMERICANS ARE RECEIVING THEM OR SOON WILL BE.  THE BABY BOOMERS ARE A LARGE GROUP IN THAT CATEGORY AND THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT ACTIONS OR INACTION TO TAKE BOTH WITH ANY PRIVATE RETIREMENT PLANS THEY MAY HAVE OR EVEN WITH SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT PLANS.  ALSO, DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME FEATURE ADMINISTERED BY THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION? THE RULES KEEP CHANGING IN THESE AREAS AND IT WOULD BE SMART TO LEARN THEM;

THE FEDERAL RESERVE - WE HAVEN'T STOPPED LOOKING INTO THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM AND WE WILL DELVE A LITTLE MORE INTO IT'S' BALANCE SHEET AND SEE IF WE CAN GLEAN THE FACTS REGARDING THIS INSTITUTION THAT HAS SUCH AN IMPACT ON OUR LIVES AND DETERMINE IF IT CAN BE ONE THAT TRULY SERVES THE PEOPLE OR SHOULD ANOTHER ACT OF CONGRESS BE PASSED TO END ITS' EXISTENCE. THIS CAN BE A TEDIOUS PROCESS, BUT WE MUST FOLLOW THE MONEY !;

BEFORE WE TACKLE THE FEDERAL SYSTEM HOWEVER IT MAY BE WORTHWHILE TO REVIEW WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING IN PRICHARD, ALABAMA WITH THEIR PENSION PLAN. I THINK THE LESSON HERE IS THAT WE SHOULD FIND A WAY TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN MONEY AND NOT RELY TOO MUCH ON OTHERS, ESPECIALLY IF THEIR ABILITIES HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY DETERMINED;

GOLD - A RECENT SURVEY SHOWS HOW GOLD DOES DURING TIMES OF TURMOIL.  FIND OUT THE DETAILS;

WE WILL ALSO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MORE ON THE LIST OF THE 50 THINGS EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE COLLAPSE OF THE ECONOMY;

AND WE WILL KEEP YOU ABREAST OF ANY LATE-BREAKING DEVELOPMENTS IN THE STOCK AND COMMODITIES MARKETS, ESPECIALLY GOLD AND SILVER;

SOME THOUGHTS BY EXPERIENCED INDIVIDUALS IN THE WORLD OF MONEY MAY ALSO BE REVIEWED AND SOME AUDIO MAY BE PLAYED TO ROUND OUT THE SHOW.